tiistai 20. joulukuuta 2011

Respect in Korean culture

Respect


During the 4 days I have been in Seoul, I have taken note of the way Korean people act around each other. I sense a great deal of respect. The main idea is that you show respect to those older than you. That is why the first things that a Korean people ask from you is your age. That defines how they will talk to you.

When I took Hozin's class, he introduced me to all the other students and asked for my age. I told him I was I-sip-i, which is 22*. After this all the younger students bowed to me. It was a strange feeling, but I liked it.

I think it is very nice to show respect to older people by bowing to them. Usually they smile back at you. When I get old it would be nice if someone would return the favor to me eg. opening doors or giving a seat on the subway.


* Korean age is different from my normal age in Finland. I guess that the main idea is that you are born as 1 year old.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti